Monday, March 28, 2011

More happenings

Just realized that it had been almost a year since I had blogged last. Since it has been that long I can tell more of what happened.

On July 29th we almost lost Mason. During the nice days of summer we would take the boys fishing. They enjoyed this as we did. Got to spend quality time with the family. On this particular day we were out at Richmond Lake fishing at one of Ronnie's coworkers cabins. The guy who was renting the place offered to take the boys on paddleboat rides. He had them all get life jackets on. I didn't realize that if a life jacket is too big it can be a bad thing. Avery and Mason had already had their rides. While Isaac was on the paddleboat the two little ones were way up by the cabin playing. Ronnie and I had just turned our heads away for a second when Avery yelled "Mason where are you?". Our heads snapped real fast. Avery pointed toward the water when Ronnie asked what he meant by where Mason is. Ronnie took off and is much faster then I am so he got there first. I saw Ronnie jump in the water out of the corner of my eye and by the time I got there he was carrying a motionless Mason.

This was one of the scariest moments in my life. He was not moving and foam was by his nose and mouth. I ran to get my phone to call 911. Ronnie staryed CPR and I almsot lost it when I heard his voice crack while telling Mason to breathe. It was hard talking to the operator and staying calm. We didn't know the address there. It took a long time which seemed like an enternity until we heard the ambulance sirens. We then realized they were on the wrong side of the lake. At this point a neighbor came out and I gave him my phone to tell the operator where they need to go. It was a great sight when the ambulance guys came around the corner. The helicopter had just landed.

It was a good thing Ronnie knew CPR as did I or Mason wouldn't be here today. He was taken to the hospital and kept overnight for observation. Ronnie only had to do CPR for about 30 seconds. Mason had started to breathe at that point and threw up the water he had swallowed.

Needless to say, we are going to be putting the boys in swim lessons this year as none of them know how to swim. Also, they are not gonna be allowed to go fishing until we have bought them life jackets that fit. I had nightmares for a long time but am glad that God was there watching out for him and us. It could have so much worse. We make sure to say our prayers every day and thank God for all of our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment